Are you experiencing stress at work? You are not alone, everyone experiences stress at work. Studies show that job stress is the major source of stress for American adults. Job stress has escalated progressively. Escalated stress levels can cause serious health issues like high blood pressure, heart attack and other conditions.
If you are wondering why people are stressed at work, here are some reasons, many of which I have personally experienced during my previous jobs. I’ll be honest with you I experienced job stress from all the reasons below at one time or another:
- Low pay.
- Working more than 40 hours a week.
- High demands and large load work.
- Fear of job insecurity.
- Minimum personal or vacation time off.
- Multitasking several duties and meeting urgent deadlines.
- Work life balance.
- People issues.
According to a 2000 Integra Survey from the American Institute of Stress:
- 65% of workers said that workplace stress had caused difficulties and more than 10 percent described these as having major effects.
- 10% said they work in an atmosphere where physical violence has occurred because of job stress and in this group, 42% report that yelling and other verbal abuse is common.
- 29% had yelled at co-workers because of workplace stress, 14% said they work where machinery or equipment has been damaged because of workplace rage and 2% admitted that they had actually personally struck someone.
- 19% or almost one in five respondents had quit a previous position because of job stress and nearly one in four have been driven to tears because of workplace stress.
- 62% routinely find that they end the day with work-related neck pain, 44% reported stressed-out eyes, 38% complained of hurting hands and 34% reported difficulty in sleeping because they were too stressed-out.
- 12% had called in sick because of job stress.
- Over half said they often spend 12-hour days on work related duties and an equal number frequently skip lunch because of the stress of job demands.
People are different and they react differently to stressful work situations. In a stressful work situation, some people get excited and motivated and other people get stressed out and overwhelmed for the same stressful situation. Here is a list of few techniques which I found helpful for stress relief when I was stressed during work.
- A few minutes of good breathing, or even taking a 5 minute walk outside the building can be rejuvenating. This is especially helpful after a stressful meeting.
- Get a good nights sleep and eat a well balance meal. This is when your body is recovering and you can be rested and feel well for the next day.
- Prioritize your workload. In my previous job I had a heavy workload everyday and if I didn’t prioritize I would get stressed out. As soon as I would start my workday, I would make two lists, list 1 for priority work and list 2 which was not as urgent. Once list 1 was complete, I would start on list 2, that way I didn’t get overwhelmed and stressed. At the end of the day all my work would get done.
- Take a break. Many times I worked 12 hour shifts and didn’t eat anything all day, I would get grouchy and stressed. It is important to take a break, rest your mind, stretch your legs, get something to eat or drink. Most importantly have few minutes away from your desk or office.
- Schedule daily interruptions. Interruptions can’t be avoided, but if you prioritize them and schedule to address them according to your schedule instead of at that moment, this will help reduce your stress level. We all know that constant interruptions in a busy day can be very stressful especially if you are very busy and have a deadline to meet. Whenever, I get interrupted I diagnose the importance and schedule it in my calendar to address at another time or even another day depending of the urgency. If it’s an urgent matter than I address it immediately and not put it off.
- Look at a picture that is calming and relaxing. Here is a picture I like to look at when I’m stressed at work, it reminds me of vacation and makes me happy.
- For everyday techniques and not just stress at work, download my stress free guide and start feeling normal again. Access to download my Stress Free Guide in PDF format is included when you buy any Natural Stress Reducer product.